Monday, April 13, 2009

Sad week

Last week was such a bad week that I am very glad it's over. Scott and Joanna's dogs have been fighting and they decided to send them back to prison (a training program at a women's correctional facility). I took Mia and Zoey in for them on Thursday. On Tuesday night my cat Tao came out of the basement (his usual hang out) and as I petted him I noticed that he had lost a TON of weight. I knew something drastically was wrong. I took him to the vet clinic in downtown Denver. They ran some tests and found out that his kidney's were failing. Guy, being the loving supportive husband he is told me to whatever I needed to and not worry about the money. The vet said that we could try 3 days of fluids and medications to try and jumpstart Tao's kidney's. The vet said that many times this works with cats. We decided to try. Unfortunately 3 days later he still wouldn't eat and was in the same condition. I spoke with another vet there on Friday who said we could try 2 more days but he really didn't think it would change. He as very supportive and left the decisions to me. I decided to let Tao go and not make him suffer any longer. Guy came home early from work to be with Gabrielle and went to see Tao and say good-bye. The vet put us in a room especially for these situations with a couch and chair, very homey. He gave us time together and when I told him I was ready, he gave Tao the shot. He went very quickly and peacefully.

God gave me 11 wonderful years with him and for that I'm thankful. I'm thankful I could be with him at the end and not feel like I'd abandoned him. The Vet staff was so helpful and understanding and made a very difficult situation as painless as possible. They treated Tao with great care and respect. Even after Tao had left they treated his body with such respect and care. I'm very grateful to them. I'm also grateful to Guy for his understanding and comfort through this hard time for me. Nick has fortunately done very well with this. I was concerned how he would handle it but I'm always impressed with him. Gab's was concerned for me but after a few hugs she was fine. Life will go on but for now it will just be a little bit emptier.

1 comment: